Carrucan and Sweeney Photo Galleries

Carrucan and Sweeney Photo Galleries

Last additions
Michael_Connors2C_Absolute_Pardon2C_1st_of_May2C_18432C_44-92C_367.jpg
1843 - Michael Connors, Absolute Pardon, 1st of May 1843, 44-9, 3672 viewsThomas Sweeney and Michael Connors arrived in Port Jackson on the Convict Transport Isabella (3) in December 1823. Connors received a Ticket of Leave dated the 15th of December, 1832 which allows him to remain in the District of Bathurst. He was subsequently granted an Absolute Pardon dated May 1 1843. ‘Captain Rock’ had certainly come a long way since that historic night in 1823 at Cullahill, Parish of Bourney, Barony of Ikerrin, County Tipperary.Dec 11, 2024
Cork_Harbour_showing_a_prison_hulk_.jpg
1820s Cork Harbour showing the prison hulk Surprise2 viewsOn the 14th of May 1823, Thomas Sweeney and Michael Connors left Clonmel Gaol and under armed escort were transferred to the Convict Depot at Cork. From there they were later taken by steam packet to the Cove of Cork (Cobh) and placed on the Prison Hulk Surprise. This former Royal Navy frigate, built in the shipyards in Milford, Wales in 1812, was modified as a hulk in 1822-23. This 1820s print shows the 'Surprise' in Cork Harbour.
Collection Peter Cuffley
Dec 11, 2024
1922_Prayer_Book_2.jpg
1922 Prayer Book Gift 13 viewsThe small prayer book 'The New Key Of Heaven' had been originally presented to Mrs Foley from her sincere friends the Bayswater Altar Society in October 1912. She gifted it to her little niece Betty Carrucan, Christmas 1922. At that time she was living in Western Australia. Her words to her niece: Pray for me sometimes dear Betty.
Mrs Foley was Annie Cecile Sweeney (1969-1947),the eldest child of John Francis Sweeney and Ellen Mary Kenney.
Erickson Collection
Dec 11, 2024
1820_circa_Cove_of_Cork.jpg
1820s Cove of Cork5 viewsThis Irish harbour was known as COVE until 1849 when it was changed to Queenstown after a visit from Queen Victoria.Dec 11, 2024
1922_Prayer_Book_1.jpg
1922 Prayer Book Gift 24 viewsThe small prayer book 'The New Key Of Heaven' had been originally presented to Mrs Foley from her sincere friends the Bayswater Altar Society in October 1912. She gifted it to her little niece Betty Carrucan, Christmas 1922. At that time she was living in Western Australia. Her words to her niece: Pray for me sometimes dear Betty.
Mrs Foley was Annie Cecile Sweeney (1969-1947),the eldest child of John Francis Sweeney and Ellen Mary Kenney.
Erickson Collection
Dec 11, 2024
Ireland_Map_showing_Limerick_Tipperary_28inc_Clonmel29_and_Cork_Harbour_annotated.jpg
Ireland Map showing Limerick Tipperary (inc Clonmel) and Cork Harbour2 viewsMichael Connors and Thomas Sweeney were charged under the Whiteboy Act for a felonious assault on the house of Patrick Guider, at Cullohill, south of Roscrea in Tipperary, and with having set said house on fire. Being found guilty in Clonmel, their death sentences were commuted to life transportation to New South Wales. On the 14th of May, 1823, Sweeney and Connors left Clonmel Gaol and under armed escort were transferred to the Convict Depot at Cork. From there they were later taken by steam packet to the Cove of Cork (Cobh) and placed on the Prison Hulk Surprise in Cork Harbour. Nov 27, 2024
1907_circa_Thomas_and_Kathleen_Sweeney2C_postcard_to_Mary_and_Fran_in_WA_-_writing_on_back.JPG
1907 circa - Thomas and Kathleen Sweeney, postcard to Mary and Fran in WA3 viewsThis is the back of the photo of Kathleen (Kas) and Thomas (Tom) Sweeney which was sent as a postcard to older siblings Tom and Mary in Western Australia. It says in part

"Tom Prior took it as we were returning from a ride. You will recognise the hill; our young stock.....Pigs send their love. Only another 3 weeks to live....Tell Frank to try and come home this year. Anxiously waiting for your next letter. Dad's neck is a bit troublesome now. He is making a new fowl house and it is nearly finished. Went for a ride on my own today."
Nov 27, 2024
Coastal_Map_of_area_from_Sydney_to_Illawarra_annotated.JPG
Coastal Map of area from Sydney to Illawarra3 viewsAfter a number of years as an assigned convict within the confines of the NSW Colony, Thomas Sweeney became master of a succession of coastal traders transporting goods between Sydney and Wollongong. The first such reference is in the Sydney General Trade List of Thursday the 22nd of October, 1829.Nov 27, 2024
1915_circa_postcard_J_H__Clark-_Eltham_from_Bolton_Street.JPG
1915 circa postcard J.H. Clark- Eltham from Bolton Street2 viewsThis photo postcard shows an early view of Eltham looking east from Bolton Street between Bridge Street and Brougham Street (Wellington). The fenced road reserve on the right is Brougham Street.
Originally dated as pre-1877 introduction of the Telegraph (the Telegraph was connected to the Post Office on Thursday, June 7, 1877) given the lack of poles and wires visible, a more recent higher resolution scan has revealed the presence of several Telegraph poles: one about half way between Brougham Street and Dalton Street, one opposite the Police Residence, another opposite W.B Andrew’s Corn Store (Zen Den site), one possibly near the Fountain/Evelyn Hotel. Also, given the photo was originally marked “J. H. Clark Photo” it is safer to assume the image is dated circa 1915.
Sourced from the Eltham District Historical Society.
Nov 27, 2024
1912_circa_St_Mary_s_Catholic_Church_cnr_Main_Road_and_Henry_Street_Eltham_adjusted.JPG
1912 circa St Mary's Catholic Church cnr Main Road and Henry Street Eltham2 viewsSt Mary's Catholic Church, cnr Main Road and Henry Street, Eltham was opened/blessed October 13, 1912. The wooden church was built to replace an earlier brick church also known as St Mary's (1865-1912), which had been situated on the main road near present day Wingrove Park. The church and land cost £1,400 (Evelyn Observer). The wooden church was destroyed by fire in 1961.
Sourced from the Eltham District Historical Society.
Nov 27, 2024
1895_circa_Eltham_State_School_No__209_Dalton_Street_Eltham.JPG
1895 circa Eltham State School No. 209 Dalton Street Eltham3 viewsThe Eltham Elementary School in Dalton Street (School Number 209) had been started in the 1850s and all the Sweeney children attended. At its peak, 2 teachers had to teach up to 100 children ranging in age from 3 to 14 in the old sandstone schoolroom. The early schooling was general in nature and focused on rudimentary reading and writing and basic farming capabilities.
Sourced from the Eltham District Historical Society.
Nov 27, 2024
1841-1845_circa_Catholic_Chapel_Melbourne__by_Henry_Gilbert_Jones2C_etcher_c1804-18882C_State_Library_of_Victoria_.JPG
1841-1845 circa Catholic Chapel Melbourne by Henry Gilbert Jones, etcher c1804-1888, State Library of Victoria2 viewsThis engraving is in the collection of the State Library of Victoria. It is by Henry Gilbert Jones who in 1850 purchased Allotment 6 of Portion 5, Parish of Nillumbik and became Sweeney's next neighbour on the west. The picture is dated to c1841-c 1845 which encompasses the time the children of Thomas and Margaret were baptised at St Francis Church. It had not been built when Patrick was baptised in 1839. Jones employed John Sweeney in the 1880s and died in 1888.Nov 27, 2024
1835_Illawarra_Lake_painting_by_Conrad_Martens2C_Wollongong_Art_Gallery.JPG
1835 Illawarra Lake painting by Conrad Martens, Wollongong Art Gallery2 viewsThe 1835 painting 'Illawarra Lake' by Conrad Martens shows remnant forest including a Cabbage Tree Palm, along with a horse and figures and the lake beyond. Thomas Sweeney was one of those who transported the cut wood from the Illawarra to Sydney in his coastal cutter.Nov 27, 2024
1909-06-16_Bourke_Bourke_postcard_to_Frank_Ryan_-_Bridge_St_and_Bourke_Residence__-_Ryan_Collection.jpg
1909-06-16 Nellie Bourke postcard to Frank Ryan - Bridge St and Bourke Residence - Ryan Collection - writing on back2 views Tim Keary, brother of Eliza Bourke married Kate Sweeney. The Bourke residence was named "Woodville" after the town in Galway where the Keary family lived. Tim wrote letters home to the family in Galway from 'Little Eltham' and two of them are in the Sweeney Family book. Nellie has headed this postcard "Woodville" and written "Bourke's Road" at the bottom of the postcard. She writes about last going up to Culla Hill the day John Sweeney was buried in 1909. It is dated 16th of June 1909.Nov 23, 2024
1909-06-16_Bourke_Bourke_postcard_to_Frank_Ryan_-_Bridge_St_and_Bourke_Residence__-_Ryan_Collection_-_writing_on_back.jpg
1909-06-16 Nellie Bourke postcard to Frank Ryan - Bridge St and Bourke Residence - Ryan Collection - writing on back2 views Tim Keary, brother of Eliza Bourke married Kate Sweeney. The Bourke residence was named "Woodville" after the town in Galway where the Keary family lived. Tim wrote letters home to the family in Galway from 'Little Eltham' and two of them are in the Sweeney Family book. Nellie has headed this postcard "Woodville" and written "Bourke's Road" at the bottom of the postcard. She writes about last going up to Culla Hill the day John Sweeney was buried in 1909. It is dated 16th of June 1909.Nov 23, 2024
1907_circa_Thomas_and_Kathleen_Sweeney2C_postcard_to_Mary_and_Fran_in_WA.jpg
1907 circa - Thomas and Kathleen Sweeney, postcard to Mary and Fran in WA2 viewsThis photo of Kathleen (Kas) and Thomas (Tom) Sweeney was sent as a postcard to older siblings Tom and Mary in Western Australia. It says in part

"Tom Prior took it as we were returning from a ride. You will recognise the hill; our young stock.....Pigs send their love. Only another 3 weeks to live....Tell Frank to try and come home this year. Anxiously waiting for your next letter. Dad's neck is a bit troublesome now. He is making a new fowl house and it is nearly finished. Went for a ride on my own today."
Nov 23, 2024
1843-03-31_Culla_Hill_Land_Purchase_110_acres_No_17160_78.jpg
1843-03-31 Culla Hill Land Purchase 110 acres No 17160 782 viewsThe first land allocations in Eltham took place as part of a subdivided lot of 1040 acres advertised as Lot 69 in a Government Notice dated 4th of February 1841. The large portions of land found no buyers, so were cut into smaller allotments. It was one of these allotments that Thomas Sweeney bought in 1843. In relation to the Certificate of Title dated the 31st of March 1843, we read: ‘Port Philip. Land Purchase, A. Whereas in conformity with the Regulations made for the Sale of Crown Lands in that part of Our Territory of New South Wales, Known as the Southern or Port Phillip District Thomas Sweeny of the Yarra Yarra River near Melbourne has become the purchaser of Land hereinunder described, for the Sum of One Hundred and Ten Pounds Sterling. One Hundred and Ten Acres, be the same more or less, situated in the County of Bourke and Parish of Nillumbik. Allotment number Seven of Portion number Five.’ Nov 22, 2024
1840s_Sweeney_leasehold_Boroondara.jpg
1840s Sweeney leasehold Boroondara2 viewsThis hand drawn map, from around 1845, shows the Boroondara allotments which were then up for sale and on which Thomas Sweeney was one of the squatters. The Sweeney hut was marked. The huts of David Balfour and John Walker were also recorded. The land sale notices stated that huts and bush fences were still there.Nov 22, 2024
1838_Marriage_Thomas_Sweeney_Margaret_Meehan.jpg
1838 Marriage Thomas Sweeney Margaret Meehan2 viewsOn the 30th of January, 1838, Margaret Meehan lands in Sydney from the 476 ton barque ‘Strathfieldsaye’ as an assisted immigrant. She marries Thomas Sweeney on the 23rd of April, 1838 at St Mary’s Church, Sydney, and the witnesses are Daniel Meehan and Peter Bodecin. The priest is Father John McEncroe and given that Margaret cannot sign her name he witnesses the cross she makes.Nov 22, 2024
1833_Darling_Harbour_Sydney__National_Library_of_Australia.jpg
1833 Darling Harbour Sydney National Library of Australia2 viewsHaving obtained a Ticket of Leave dated 29th of November 1831, Thomas Sweeney is increasingly reported in Sydney newspaper lists of coastal trading vessels between Wollongong and Sydney. To sail into Sydney was no mean feat as the captain had to negotiate ‘The Heads’, the entrance to Port Jackson, and then navigate a passage to a selected mooring such as in Cockle Bay (Darling Harbour).

Nov 22, 2024
1831_Thomas_Sweeny_Ticket_of_Leave.jpg
1831 Thomas Sweeny Ticket of Leave3 viewsAfter 8 years as an assigned convict within the confines of the NSW Colony, Thomas Sweeney's Ticket of Leave allowed him to work for himself. His Ticket of Leave is dated the 31st of July, 1831. There is a notation on his Ticket of Leave butt dated 21st of March, 1834 which reads: ‘The holder of this Ticket is permitted to voyage between Illawarra & Sydney for trading purposes.’ It is signed, Alexander McLeay, Colonial Secretary’s Office. The Ticket of Leave ha a further notation in 1835: ‘Allowed by the Colonial Secretary’s letter No. 35/613 dated 9th November 1835, Trade between Manning River and Sydney but not allowed to cut cedar.’Nov 22, 2024
1824-04-22_Sweeny_in_Sydney_Gazette_and_New_South_Wales_Advertiser2C_Thursday2C_April_222C_18242C_page_4_.jpg
1824-04-22 Sweeny in Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, Thursday, April 22, 1824, page 4 3 viewsIn the Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser of Thursday, April 22, 1824, there is an interesting advertisement: ‘TEN DOLLARS REWARD. – Whereas on Sunday the 11th inst. two Saving Bank Receipts of One Pound each, belonging to my Government assigned Servant, Thomas Sweeny, were stolen from the Men’s Hut on my Farm of Bexley, near Cook’s River; This is to give Notice, that I am willing to pay the above Reward, on discovery of the Individual who presented them for Payment, and endorsed the Name of the said Thomas Sweeny upon the back, as an Acknowledgement. JAMES CHANDLERNov 22, 2024
1950s_Culla_Hill_-_possible_Jan_1952_-_Burston_Family_Collection.jpg
1950s Culla Hill - possible Jan 1952 - Burston Family Collection2 viewsThis photo, from the Burston Family Collection, shows the Culla Hill barn which closely resembles the barn at Cullahill Farm, the old Guider property south of Roscrea in Tipperary. Thomas Sweeney’s parents, Patrick and Mary Sweeney, were probably humble farmers who lived in the area.Nov 22, 2024
1947-07_Parish_Map_Dept_of_Lands_and_Survey.jpg
1947-07 Parish Map Dept of Lands and Survey3 viewsThis July 1947 Department of Lands and Survey map shows the original owners of the subdivisions blocks around the Culla Hill property. Thomas Sweeney's name is on 3 blocks - block 7 of 110 acres (the original homestead block), along with blocks 2 and 3 (each of 158 acres).Nov 22, 2024
1940-02_Home_Beautiful_-_Page_2.jpg
1940-02 Home Beautiful - Page 22 viewsPage 2 of the February 1940 Home Beautiful article on Culla HillNov 22, 2024
1940-02_Home_Beautiful_-_Page_1.jpg
1940-02 Home Beautiful - Page 12 viewsPage 1 of the February 1940 Home Beautiful article on Culla HillNov 22, 2024
1940-02_Culla_Hill_Homestead_floor_plan_Dr_Roger_Luebbers.jpg
1940-02 Culla Hill Homestead floor plan Dr Roger Luebbers2 viewsWhile the name Culla Hill is used for the road in a subdivision of part of the original 110 acres, the name ‘Sweeneys’ has been generally used since 1939 for the house and barn precinct. The owners at that time, Colin Stanfield Gibson and his wife Beatrice Ebsworth ‘Betty’ Gibson, were from Tasmania and thankfully their thoughtful renovations at Culla Hill in 1939 were influenced by an understanding of the Colonial tradition and its revival. While stone from the demolition of a large fireplace and chimney became a new garden path and garden edging, most of the refurbishment kept the essence of the original fabric. The plan here shows the layout of the rooms as they were at the time of the 1940 Home Beautiful article.
Diagram Dr Roger Leubbers, 1997
Nov 22, 2024
1850s_Culla_Hill_Main_House_-_floor_plan_Dr_Roger_Luebbers.jpg
1850s Culla Hill Main House - floor plan Dr Roger Luebbers2 viewsThe new house at ‘Culla Hill’ was of a type often seen in colonial Australia which displays a simple ‘bungalow-style’ hipped roof which also covers the recessed verandah. It was given twelve-paned windows and the brickwork was rendered with stucco. Materials and fittings such as cedar doors and architraves would most likely have been brought by dray from Melbourne. One of the three floor plans Dr Roger Leubbers has based on his close inspections and old photographs shows the internal layout as it would have been in its first decade.Nov 22, 2024
1850s_Culla_Hill_Main_House_-_cross_view_drawing_Dr_Roger_Luebbers.jpg
1850s Culla Hill Main House - cross view drawing Dr Roger Luebbers2 viewsDr Roger Leubbers' 1997 study of Culla Hill confirms family stories of there being two upstairs spaces which, by their remnant samples of paint and wallpaper, would have been used as bedrooms. These can be seen in the cross section drawing.Nov 22, 2024
1840s_Robert_Hoddle_map_of_Parish_of_Nillumbik.jpg
1840s Robert Hoddle map of Parish of Nillumbik3 viewsThis Robert Hoddle map of the Parish of Nillumbik shows that a number of the subdivision blocks have names allocated to them but not all. Thomas Sweeney has a 110 acre block adjoining the Yarra River. An annotation on blocks 6 and 7 records "Sweeney bark range thickly wooded".

As supplied by Peter Cuffley to Alan Marshall for his book Pioneers and Painters.
Nov 11, 2024
1940-02_Culla_Hill_Home_Beautiful_-_view_from_the_paddock_Home_Beautiful.jpg
1940-02 Culla Hill Home Beautiful - view from the paddock Home Beautiful5 viewsThe Home Beautiful magazine issue of 1st February 1940 contains a wonderful 6 page article on 'Sweeneys'. This is one of a number of historically significant photos from that article. Peter Cuffley has a copy of the original magazine issue.Nov 11, 2024
1940-02_Culla_Hill_Home_Beautiful_-_House_and_Hut.jpg
1940-02 Culla Hill Home Beautiful - House and Hut3 viewsThe Home Beautiful magazine issue of 1st February 1940 contains a wonderful 6 page article on 'Sweeneys'. This is one of a number of historically significant photos from that article. Peter Cuffley has a copy of the original magazine issue.Nov 11, 2024
1940-02_Culla_Hill_Home_Beautiful_-_House_and_Dairy.jpg
1940-02 Culla Hill Home Beautiful - House and Dairy4 viewsThe Home Beautiful magazine issue of 1st February 1940 contains a wonderful 6 page article on 'Sweeneys'. This is one of a number of historically significant photos from that article. Peter Cuffley has a copy of the original magazine issue.Nov 11, 2024
1956_circa_Jamie_and_Mike__Burston_at_Sweeneys_with_cows2C_Burston_family_collection.jpg
1956 circa - Jamie and Mike Burston at Sweeneys with cows, Burston family collection2 viewsNov 08, 2024
1950s_or_1960s_circa_Culla_Hill_homestead_east_side_2CBurston_family_collection.jpg
1950s or 1960s - Culla Hill homestead east side, Burston family collection3 viewsNov 08, 2024
1952_cica_Culla_Hill2C_old_long_house_with_buttress2C_Burston_family_collection.jpg
1952 circa - Culla Hill, old long house with buttress, Burston family collection3 viewsNov 08, 2024
1926_-_Carrucan_photo_at_Dalton_St_-_Nana_28Hooley292C_Betty_and_Mary_Carrucan.jpg
1926 - Family photo at Dalton St - Nana (Hooley), Betty and Mary Carrucan1 viewsOn the front porch at the Dalton St Eltham farmhouse circa 1926. Mary Carrucan (nee Sweeney) is back right and her daughter Betty is back left. Mary's sister Ellen (Nana) Sweeney is seated.Nov 07, 2024
1924_Frank_Sweeney_Perth.jpg
1924 - Frank Sweeney, Perth2 viewsFrank Sweeney, who was born 26 May 1882 and who died 18 August 1952, was a grandson of Thomas Sweeney. He relocated from Eltham to Perth somewhere around 1904. In the 1906 Electoral Roll, he is a driver living in Park St, Subiaco. He and his wife Ellen (Sullivan) had 7 children, born between 1912 and 1925.

This photo shows him at work in his carrier business. The photo is captioned "With Compliments, Autocars (1924) Ltd. The tray is painted "CARRIER FRANK CARRUCAN SUBIACO".
Nov 07, 2024
1921_Eltham_Elementary_School_grades_3_and_4_-_Patrick_and_Jack_Carrucan_Nellie_Sweeney_Teacher.jpg
1921 Eltham Elementary School grades 3 and 4 - Patrick and Jack Carrucan Nellie Sweeney Teacher2 viewsThe Eltham Elementary School in Dalton Street (School Number 209) had been started in the 1850s and was just a stone's throw from the Carrucan farms and not too far from Culla Hill. All the Carrucan and Sweeney children attended and this photo of the 1921 Grade 3 and 4 class shows 40 children ranging in ages from about 10 upwards. Nellie Sweeney is the teacher on the right. Patrick and Jack Carrucan are amongst the children. Nov 07, 2024
1999_Cullahill_Farmhouse2C_Parish_of_Bourney2C_Tipperary_North_-_taken_by_Brian_Cuffley.jpg
1999 Cullahill Farmhouse, Parish of Bourney, Tipperary North - taken by Brian Cuffley1 viewsBrian Cuffley returned in 1999 and captured the Cullahill homestead in this photo. This is the same homestead that Thomas Sweeney tried to burn down. In those days, it would have had a thatched roof which would have easily caught fire.Nov 06, 2024
Vi_interview_for_DV_News.jpg
Vi Burston interview for DV News3 viewsThis interview with Vi Burston, the owner of Culla Hill (now called Sweeneys) in the late 11980s or early 1993) was published in the Diamond Valley news.Nov 06, 2024
1973_Cullahill_Farm_outbuildings2C_Parish_of_Bourney2C_Tipperary_North_-_taken_by_Brian_Cuffley.jpg
1973 Cullahill Farm outbuildings, Parish of Bourney, Tipperary North - taken by Brian Cuffley3 viewsPhoto taken by Brian Cuffley in 1973, when the Guider family were still in residence. Photo shows the barn and outbuildings at Cullahill, Tipperary.Nov 06, 2024
1930_circa_at_Culla_Hill_-_Nellie_Sweeney_Nellie_Oliver_Nellie_Murray_and_Nellie_or_Nana_Hooley_nee_Sweeney_-_Nana_owned_Culla_Hill_at_this_stage.jpg
1930 circa at Culla Hill - Nellie Sweeney, Nellie Oliver, Nellie Murray and Nellie (Nana) Hooley nee Sweeney - Nana owned Culla Hill at this stage5 viewsA wonderful 1930 photo showing 4 Nellies on the front verandah of the Culla Hill homestead.

Ellen Mary (Nessie) Sweeney (1869-1955) - daughter of Patrick Carrucan and Mary Fitzsimons
Ellen (Nellie) Oliver nee Smith (1885-1956) - daughter of Jack Smith and Annie Sweeney
Ellen Mary (Nellie) Murray (1907-1938) - daughter of James Murray and Julia Brennan
Ellen Irene (Nelly) Hooley nee Sweeney (1874-1940) - daughter of John Sweeney and Ellen Kenney

A note on Ellen Mary (Nessie) Sweeney. She never married and worked at the Foy & Gibson factory in Collingwood. In later life, she lived with her niece Nelly Oliver so to save confusion people called her 'Nessie'.

I notice in lots of old references that people used both spellings, Nellie and Nelly. Patrick 1838-1919 calls his sister Ellen 'Ellie'. so that's another variation!
Nov 06, 2024
1927_Christmas_Card_-_Mary_Ellen_28Nellie29_Murray.jpg
1927 Christmas Card - Mary Ellen (Nellie) Murray1 viewsCard signed "Sincerely Yours,Nellie, Xmas 1927
Nellie Murray, Diamond Creek, Victoria, Australia"

The AGE of Wednesday 3rd August 1938, p14, reported

DEATHS: On August 2, at a private hospital, Albert Park, Mary Ellen, beloved and only daughter of James and the late Julia Murray of Eltham, and beloved sister of James, aged 30 years, RIP
Nov 06, 2024
1923_Frank_and_May_Ryan_with_Shiela_Kitty_and_Ellie_on_way_to_Eltham_on_Indian_motorbike_for_Ellen_Sweeney_wedding.jpg
1923 Frank and May Ryan with Shiela Kitty and Ellie on way to Eltham on Indian motorbike for Ellen Sweeney's wedding3 viewsFrancis Michael "Frank" Ryan (1887-1965) was one of the children of John Francis Ryan (1855-1921) and Ellen Sweeney (1845-1932).

He married Mary Ann "May" Smale in January 1916.

Frank and May are shown on their Indian motorbike with children Cecelia Mary "Shiela" (born 1916), Catherine Ellen "Kitty" (born 1917) and Eileen Margaret "Ellie" (born 1919). They had one further child, John Francis "Jack" who was born in 1924. At the time of this photo, there were only the 3 older daughters.
Nov 06, 2024
1912_circa_-_John_and_Ellen_Ryan_and_family_of_Waihi2C_NZ.jpg
1902 - John Francis Ryan and Ellen Elizabeth Sweeney with children Thomas John Margaret and Francis (Frank)2 viewsEllen Elizabeth Sweeney (1845-1932), one of the daughters of Thomas Sweeney, married John Francis Ryan in 1880 in Cormandel, NZ. They are shown here with their 4 children Thomas Joseph "Tom" (born 1882), Margaret Katherine "Tissa" (born 1883), John Desmond "Des" (born 1885) and Francis Michael "Frank" born 1887. They were living in Waihu, NZ, at the time.Nov 06, 2024
1902_John_Francis_Ryan_and_Ellen_Elizabeth_Sweeney_with_children_Thomas_John_Margaret_and_Francis_28Frank29.jpg
1902 John Francis Ryan and Ellen Elizabeth Sweeney with children Thomas John Margaret and Francis (Frank)2 viewsEllen Elizabeth Sweeney (1845-1932), one of the daughters of Thomas Sweeney, married John Francis Ryan in 1880 in Cormandel, NZ. They are shown here with their 4 children Thomas Joseph "Tom" (born 1882), Margaret Katherine "Tissa" (born 1883), John Desmond "Des" (born 1885) and Francis Michael "Frank" born 1887. They were living in Waihu, NZ, at the time.Nov 06, 2024
1830s_Coastal_Cutter_-_Peter_Cuffley.jpg
1830s Coastal Cutter - Peter Cuffley3 viewsUpon obtaining his Ticket of Leave in 1831, Thomas Sweeney set about becoming a coastal trader in the Sydney colony. By 1833, he owned a half share in a small vessel called Sarah and was building a craft of some 40 tons. This sketch, provided by Peter Cuffley, is typical of the sort of boat that Sweeney would have sailed. Nov 06, 2024
668 files on 14 page(s) 1