 Last additions
|

1834 - 1867 Thomas Sweeney Signatures2 viewsThomas Sweeney could sign his name and could probably read well enough to survive in business, but he always had a friend or professional scribe write the letters he sent do government departments.
Peter Cuffley has collected a number of signatures from Thomas Sweeney, ranging from 1834 to 1867.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1960s Culla Hill painting by Peter Cuffley based on 1940 Home Beautiful photo3 viewsThis painting of the Culla Hill property, based on the 1940 Home Beautiful article, was done by Peter Cuffley in the late 1960s.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

Sweeneys photos - Burston Collection1 viewsMike Burton was brought up at Culla Hill during the period when the Burton family owned the property. These are photos from the Burton family photo albums which are now in Mike's possession. The photos are from the period from the 1960s onwards.
These colour photos of the interior rooms were taken before the property was sold in 1997 and were possibly used for publicity.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

Sweeneys photos - Burston Collection1 viewsMike Burton was brought up at Culla Hill during the period when the Burton family owned the property. These are photos from the Burton family photo albums which are now in Mike's possession. The photos are from the period from the 1960s onwards.
These colour photos of the interior rooms were taken before the property was sold in 1997 and were possibly used for publicity.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

Sweeneys photos - Burston Collection1 viewsMike Burton was brought up at Culla Hill during the period when the Burton family owned the property. These are photos from the Burton family photo albums which are now in Mike's possession. The photos are from the period from the 1960s onwards.
These colour photos of the interior rooms were taken before the property was sold in 1997 and were possibly used for publicity.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

Sweeneys photos - Burston Collection1 viewsMike Burton was brought up at Culla Hill during the period when the Burton family owned the property. These are photos from the Burton family photo albums which are now in Mike's possession. The photos are from the period from the 1960s onwards.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

Sweeneys photos - Burston Collection1 viewsMike Burton was brought up at Culla Hill during the period when the Burton family owned the property. These are photos from the Burton family photo albums which are now in Mike's possession. The photos are from the period from the 1960s onwards.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.
The auction took place in this seated marquee.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1980-01 Sweeneys Photos - Burton Collection2 viewsThis photo from the Burton Collection shows how idyllic 'Culla Hill' was in January, 1980. It is remarkable to think that this location is a mere 14 miles from the Melbourne GPO, yet there are no signs of urban development. Thankfully, 'Sweeneys Flats' are now preserved forever as riverside parkland. Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1966 Culla Hill drawing by Peter Cuffley3 viewsNov 06, 2024
|
|

1960s Sweeneys Aerial Photos2 viewsThe 4 aerial photos here are from Mike Burton and provide a wonderful snapshot of the Culla Hill (now called Sweeney's) property. The aerial views are undated but would likely be from the 1960s or 70s. Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1960s Sweeneys Aerial Photos3 viewsThe 4 aerial photos here are from Mike Burton and provide a wonderful snapshot of the Culla Hill (now called Sweeney's) property. The aerial views are undated but would likely be from the 1960s or 70s. Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1960s Sweeneys Aerial Photos3 viewsThe 4 aerial photos here are from Mike Burton and provide a wonderful snapshot of the Culla Hill (now called Sweeney's) property. The aerial views are undated but would likely be from the 1960s or 70s.
In this photo, we can see what seems to be a house site on the other side of Sweeneys Lane which would be on 'Yarra Braes'. There is a good photograph of a substantial weatherboard house with cast-iron-lace verandah titled 'Yarra Brae Park' in the Eltham District Historical Society Collection. I believe this would have been built by John Francis Rutter 1842-1906 and his wife Elizabeth, possibly in the 1890s. I presume this is the same dwelling burnt out in the 1939 Black Friday fires. It was then owned by Hubert Rutter and family.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1960s Sweeneys Aerial Photos3 viewsThe 4 aerial photos here are from Mike Burton and provide a wonderful snapshot of the Culla Hill (now called Sweeney's) property. The aerial views are undated but would likely be from the 1960s or 70s. Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1956-02 Culla Hill & Petty's Orchard, LANDATA Aerial view, Eltham District Historical Society1 viewsThis LANDATA aerial shot, taken in February 1956, shows Culla Hill and Petty's Orchard, LANDATA. Photo purchased from the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1952-01 Culla Hill detached kitchen, Burston family collection4 viewsIn this photo, dated January 1952, you can see how a section of the back wall has collapsed and other parts have been given props. You can also see an opening to the cellar. I wonder how they accessed it. Perhaps there was a trap door in the floor. The building was soon to be demolishedNov 06, 2024
|
|

1950s Culla Hill main house with extensions, Burston family1 viewsNov 06, 2024
|
|

1940-02 Culla Hill Home Beautiful - View of Original Buildings3 viewsThe Home Beautiful magazine issue of 1st February 1940 contains a wonderful 6 page article on 'Sweeneys'. This is one of a number of historically significant photos from that article. Peter Cuffley has a copy of the original magazine issue.
Sweeney's first home was a 12 ft x 10 ft shack of roughly sawn timber palings with a chimney of handmade bricks, standing and seen on the right of this photo. In 1940, it served as a laundry.
In the background is seen the cottage and barn which also belonged to the original homestead.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1940-02 Culla Hill Home Beautiful - Sitting Room4 viewsThe Home Beautiful magazine issue of 1st February 1940 contains a wonderful 6 page article on 'Sweeneys'. This is one of a number of historically significant photos from that article. Peter Cuffley has a copy of the original magazine issue.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1940-02 Culla Hill Home Beautiful - Old Longhouse5 viewsThe Home Beautiful magazine issue of 1st February 1940 contains a wonderful 6 page article on 'Sweeneys'. This is one of a number of historically significant photos from that article. Peter Cuffley has a copy of the original magazine issue.
This stone built building was part of the original homestead. In 1940, it served as a guest room.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1940-02 Culla Hill Home Beautiful - Front View2 viewsThe Home Beautiful magazine issue of 1st February 1940 contains a wonderful 6 page article on 'Sweeneys'. This is one of a number of historically significant photos from that article. Peter Cuffley has a copy of the original magazine issue.
The main residence was built on the lines of a Tipperary farmhouse by Thomas Sweeney.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1920s Culla Hill buildings 1840s right and 1850s left5 viewsThis old photo, from one of Betty Carrucan's albums, shows the Culla Hill homestead, date unknown but probably in the 1920s or 1930s. It shows the original 1840s building on the righ and the 1850s homestead on the left.Nov 06, 2024
|
|

1927 - Obituary for Mary Carrucan nee OBrien1 viewsWith the passing of Mary Carrucan nee O'Brien,the widow of Patrick Carrucan, in 1927, the following comprehensive obituary was was published in the Hurstridge Advertiser, Friday 18 November 1927, page 5
DEATH OF ELTHAM PIONEER. MRS. MARY CARRUCAN.
On November 2 at Dalton St., Eltham, the death of Mrs. Mary Carrucan, relict of the late Patrick Carrucan, removed from our midst another of the fine old pioneers of this district. The deceased lady, who had reached the ripe age of ninety years, had been in failing health for the last two years, so that her demise was really a happy release. She and her late husband arrived in the colony from County Clare, Ireland, over 70 years ago, and settled in Eltham soon after their arrival. The latter pre-deceased her by 34 years. They reared a large family (two sons and seven daughters) who, with the exception of the elder son Michael, have all settled down elsewhere. Both the parents were very highly re-spected for their thrift and industry and soon acquired several blocks of land in and about Holloway's town ship, of which Dalton St. formed the southern boundary line. Like many of the early pioneers, the deceased lady was a fine type of helpmate, and was fond of outdoor life. When the Eltham tannery was in full swing, her husband was engaged as a first-class hand, but left this occupation to carry on fruit growing and mixed farming. Mrs. Carrucan's remains were laid to rest in the family portion of the Eltham cemetery, after a requiem service had been conducted in the local Catholic Church by the parish priest, the Rev. Fr. Lande. The funeral was attended by a large number of the family, relatives and friends, many of whom travelled long distances to pay the last tribute. The Rev. Fr. Lande also officiated at the grave. The funeral arrangements were very well carried out by Mr. Frank Usher, of Apps and Son, Fitzroy.Sep 10, 2024
|
|

1868-11-10 John Francis Sweeney and Ellen Mary Kenney marriage at St John's Church in Heidelberg20 viewsThis historic photo captures the wedding of John Francis Sweeney and Ellen Mary Kenney on the 10th of November 1868 at St John’s Church in Heidelberg. Investigation of the original photo showed writing under a glued over backing sheet. Some of the text is indecipherable but it does include ‘To Dear Nellie with fondest love from E..DE..NE Culla Hill Eltham Victoria.’
The original is in the collection of the Eltham Historical Society and a copy has been purchased for our Sweeney archive.Feb 19, 2024
|
|

1922-04-16 Ellen Sweeney in Mrs Cox's garden Eltham Easter Sunday 19226 viewsThis photo shows Ellen Sweeney in Mrs Cox's garden in Eltham on Easter Sunday 1922. The writing on the back is as follows
Jackson St Casterton Aug 18. 23
Dear Girls,I was very pleased to receive your nice letters with news of your doings in Eltham. You put Casterton S.A., so your letters were a long time reaching me. As I hope to see you all very soon I shall just send a p.c. of me taken in Mrs Cox’s garden Easter Sunday 12 months ago. The river here has been in flood twice and people who lived along its banks had to move. I believe the Eltham PS is greatly improved. Betty says I shall get lost there now. Casterton is on the Glenelg R. in Vic so you will remember that next time. Best wishes to you all.
From E. Hooley
Ellen Sweeney was a former student of Eltham State School in the 1880s, She became a teacher at the school from 1891-1898. She returned in 1915 until her marriage to William Hooley of Casterton at St Marys, Eltham, Tuesday, April 24, 1923. see the following 2 articles, recording her wedding (http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article56655781) and her death (http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article57491650).Feb 19, 2024
|
|

6 viewsAnn Margaret Carrucan (b 1931) and Francis Xavier Magee (1931-1997) were married at East Kew in January 1956. These two photos are taken immediately after their wedding. Photos compliments of their son Kieran Magee.May 26, 2022
|
|

9 viewsAnn Margaret Carrucan (b 1931) and Francis Xavier Magee (1931-1997) were married at East Kew in January 1956. These two photos are taken immediately after their wedding. Photos compliments of their son Kieran Magee.May 26, 2022
|
|

10 viewsFrancis William Carrucan (1895-1967) and Thelma Stoney (1900-1988) were married at St Mary's Church, Glenferrie Rd, Glenferrie, on 30th April 1924. Frank was the grandson of Peter Carrucan and Hannah Woods. This photo, taken in 1944, features Frank with children Gavin, Peter, Estelle, Ann, and Moya (left to right: Gavin, Peter, Estelle, Frank, Ann and Moya). Photos compliments of Ann's son Kieran Magee.May 26, 2022
|
|

11 viewsFrancis William Carrucan (1895-1967) and Thelma Stoney (1900-1988) were married at St Mary's Church, Glenferrie Rd, Glenferrie, on 30th April 1924. Frank was the grandson of Peter Carrucan and Hannah Woods. These two photos show Frank and Thelma on their honeymoon at Lorne, Victoria, immediately after the wedding. Photos compliments of their grandson Kieran Magee.May 26, 2022
|
|

14 viewsFrancis William Carrucan (1895-1967) and Thelma Stoney (1900-1988) were married at St Mary's Church, Glenferrie Rd, Glenferrie, on 30th April 1924. Frank was the grandson of Peter Carrucan and Hannah Woods. These two photos show Frank and Thelma on their honeymoon at Lorne, Victoria, immediately after the wedding. Photos compliments of their grandson Kieran Magee.May 26, 2022
|
|

1859-05-02 Peter Carrucan Hannah Woods Marriage Certificate14 viewsThe Wedding Certificate for Peter Carrucan and Hannah Woods confirms that they were married on May 2nd 1859 (our Dirt Poor book incorrectly says 2nd February) at St Monica's Chapel in Heidelberg. This was a small weatherboard chapel that existed before the current bluestone church was built in the 1850's, as per the current parish website http://pol.org.au/heidelberg/History.aspx. Certificate compliments of Kieran Magee, who is a great great grandson of Peter and Hannah.Mar 15, 2022
|
|

1967 Circa - Family portrait of all the children of Gavin Carrucan and Gwen Lodge with their mother Gwen15 viewsFamily portrait of all the children of Gavin Carrucan and Gwen Lodge with their mother Gwen. The children are Christine (born 1953), David (born 1955), Louise (born 1957), Michael (born 1958), Andrew (born 1959), Anthony (born 1962) and Suzanne (born 1964). Photo sourced from Gavin's and Gwen's son Michael and passed on by his nephew Kieran Magee, who is a great great grandson of Peter and Hannah.Mar 15, 2022
|
|

1965 Circa - Family portrait of all the children of Gavin Carrucan and Gwen Lodge9 viewsFamily portrait of all the children of Gavin Carrucan and Gwen Lodge. The children are Christine (born 1953), David (born 1955), Louise (born 1957), Michael (born 1958), Andrew (born 1959), Anthony (born 1962) and Suzanne (born 1964). Photo sourced from Gavin's and Gwen's son Michael and passed on by his nephew Kieran Magee, who is a great great grandson of Peter and Hannah.Mar 15, 2022
|
|

1954-01 Gavin Carrucan and Gwen Lodge at the christening of their first child Christine Mary Carrucan5 viewsGavin Carrucan and Gwen Lodge at the christening of their first child Christine Mary Carrucan, who is being held by Gavin's father Francie William Carrucan. Christine is a great great grand daughter of Peter Carrucan and Hannah Woods. Photo sourced from Gavin's and Gwen's son Michael Carrucan and passed on by his nephew Kieran Magee, who is a great great grandson of Peter and Hannah.Mar 15, 2022
|
|

1953-02-07 Gavin Carrucan and Gwen Lodge wedding photo 25 viewsGavin Michael Carrucan (1928-2020) and Gwenda Marie Lodge (1927-) were married on 7th February 1953 in Camberwell, Victoria. Gavin was a great grandson of Peter Carrucan and Hannah Woods. Photo sourced from their son Michael Carrucan and passed on by Kieran Magee, who is a great great grandson of Peter and Hannah.Mar 15, 2022
|
|

1953-02-07 Gavin Carrucan and Gwen Lodge wedding photo 16 viewsGavin Michael Carrucan (1928-2020) and Gwenda Marie Lodge (1927-) were married on 7th February 1953 in Camberwell, Victoria. Gavin was a great grandson of Peter Carrucan and Hannah Woods. Photo sourced from their son Michael Carrucan and passed on by Kieran Magee, who is a great great grandson of Peter and Hannah.Mar 15, 2022
|
|

1953-02-07 Gavin Carrucan and Gwen Lodge wedding party6 viewsGavin Michael Carrucan (1928-2020) and Gwenda Marie Lodge (1927-) were married on 7th February 1953 in Camberwell, Victoria. Gavin was a great grandson of Peter Carrucan and Hannah Woods. This photo shows the wedding party - Gavin and Gwen, Pauline Lewin (Gwen's sister) and Des Sullivan (Michael's friend & best man), Ann Carrucan) and Keith Lodge (Gwen's brother). Photo sourced from their son Michael Carrucan and passed on by his nephew Kieran Magee, who is a great great grandson of Peter and Hannah.Mar 15, 2022
|
|

1924-04-30 Marriage of Francis Carrucan and Thelma Stoney5 viewsFrancis William Carrucan (1895-1967) and Thelma Stoney (1900-1988) were married at St Mary's Church, Glenferrie Rd, Glenferrie, on 30th April 1924. Frank was the grandson of Peter Carrucan and Hannah Woods The wedding is captured wonderfully in the Wedding Notices of the magazine Table Talk. See https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/146459979?searchTerm=madge%20carrucan. It was an impressive outfit and is described in detail in the article.
Certificate compliments of their grandson Kieran Magee.Mar 15, 2022
|
|

2021 Sweeney Homestead "Culla Hill' 52 viewsI was touring around Eltham in February 2021 and saw the the heavy roadside bushes outside the front fence of Culla Hill had been removed, giving us a wonderful view of the old homestead. The higher roof centre and right is the older portion of the house and the lower roofline on the left is a later edition. Apr 04, 2021
|
|

Guy Mannering Painting by Frank Carrucan40 viewsThe U.S. ship Guy Mannering was built at New York by William H. Webb, New York, for Robert L. Taylor and Nathaniel W. Merrill's line (called in Liverpool the Black Star Line) of sailing packets between New York and Liverpool, and launched in March 1849.
The ship plied other routes apart from Liverpool – New York. Patrick Carrucan, with his bride Mary and his younger brother Peter, sailed from Liverpool on the Guy Mannering in 1857 on their 90 day voyage to Australia. The shipping records list the travellers, who were not Assisted Migrants, as follows:
... Patrick and Mary Carrocan, ages 30 and 23, married, farmer, Irish, and Peter Carrocan, 24, single, farmer, Irish, on the Guy Mannering in 1857 from Liverpool to Melbourne
In 2017, Frank Carrucan, the great great grandson of Patrick Carrucan, painted a picture of the Guy Mannering. Here it is!Sep 11, 2020
|
|

Guy Mannering36 viewsThe U.S. ship Guy Mannering was built at New York by William H. Webb, New York, for Robert L. Taylor and Nathaniel W. Merrill's line (called in Liverpool the Black Star Line) of sailing packets between New York and Liverpool, and launched in March 1849.
The ship plied other routes apart from Liverpool – New York. Patrick Carrucan, with his bride Mary and his younger brother Peter, sailed from Liverpool on the Guy Mannering in 1857 on their 90 day voyage to Australia. The shipping records list the travellers, who were not Assisted Migrants, as follows:
... Patrick and Mary Carrocan, ages 30 and 23, married, farmer, Irish, and Peter Carrocan, 24, single, farmer, Irish, on the Guy Mannering in 1857 from Liverpool to MelbourneSep 11, 2020
|
|
668 files on 14 page(s) |
2 |  |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
|