 Most viewed
|

1980-01 Sweeneys Photos - Burton Collection2 viewsThis photo from the Burton Collection shows how idyllic 'Culla Hill' was in January, 1980. It is remarkable to think that this location is a mere 14 miles from the Melbourne GPO, yet there are no signs of urban development. Thankfully, 'Sweeneys Flats' are now preserved forever as riverside parkland.
|
|

1834 - 1867 Thomas Sweeney Signatures2 viewsThomas Sweeney could sign his name and could probably read well enough to survive in business, but he always had a friend or professional scribe write the letters he sent do government departments.
Peter Cuffley has collected a number of signatures from Thomas Sweeney, ranging from 1834 to 1867.
|
|

1902 John Francis Ryan and Ellen Elizabeth Sweeney with children Thomas John Margaret and Francis (Frank)2 viewsEllen Elizabeth Sweeney (1845-1932), one of the daughters of Thomas Sweeney, married John Francis Ryan in 1880 in Cormandel, NZ. They are shown here with their 4 children Thomas Joseph "Tom" (born 1882), Margaret Katherine "Tissa" (born 1883), John Desmond "Des" (born 1885) and Francis Michael "Frank" born 1887. They were living in Waihu, NZ, at the time.
|
|

1902 - John Francis Ryan and Ellen Elizabeth Sweeney with children Thomas John Margaret and Francis (Frank)2 viewsEllen Elizabeth Sweeney (1845-1932), one of the daughters of Thomas Sweeney, married John Francis Ryan in 1880 in Cormandel, NZ. They are shown here with their 4 children Thomas Joseph "Tom" (born 1882), Margaret Katherine "Tissa" (born 1883), John Desmond "Des" (born 1885) and Francis Michael "Frank" born 1887. They were living in Waihu, NZ, at the time.
|
|

1921 Eltham Elementary School grades 3 and 4 - Patrick and Jack Carrucan Nellie Sweeney Teacher2 viewsThe Eltham Elementary School in Dalton Street (School Number 209) had been started in the 1850s and was just a stone's throw from the Carrucan farms and not too far from Culla Hill. All the Carrucan and Sweeney children attended and this photo of the 1921 Grade 3 and 4 class shows 40 children ranging in ages from about 10 upwards. Nellie Sweeney is the teacher on the right. Patrick and Jack Carrucan are amongst the children.
|
|

1924 - Frank Sweeney, Perth2 viewsFrank Sweeney, who was born 26 May 1882 and who died 18 August 1952, was a grandson of Thomas Sweeney. He relocated from Eltham to Perth somewhere around 1904. In the 1906 Electoral Roll, he is a driver living in Park St, Subiaco. He and his wife Ellen (Sullivan) had 7 children, born between 1912 and 1925.
This photo shows him at work in his carrier business. The photo is captioned "With Compliments, Autocars (1924) Ltd. The tray is painted "CARRIER FRANK CARRUCAN SUBIACO".
|
|

1956 circa - Jamie and Mike Burston at Sweeneys with cows, Burston family collection2 views
|
|

1850s Culla Hill Main House - cross view drawing Dr Roger Luebbers2 viewsDr Roger Leubbers' 1997 study of Culla Hill confirms family stories of there being two upstairs spaces which, by their remnant samples of paint and wallpaper, would have been used as bedrooms. These can be seen in the cross section drawing.
|
|

1850s Culla Hill Main House - floor plan Dr Roger Luebbers2 viewsThe new house at ‘Culla Hill’ was of a type often seen in colonial Australia which displays a simple ‘bungalow-style’ hipped roof which also covers the recessed verandah. It was given twelve-paned windows and the brickwork was rendered with stucco. Materials and fittings such as cedar doors and architraves would most likely have been brought by dray from Melbourne. One of the three floor plans Dr Roger Leubbers has based on his close inspections and old photographs shows the internal layout as it would have been in its first decade.
|
|

1940-02 Culla Hill Homestead floor plan Dr Roger Luebbers2 viewsWhile the name Culla Hill is used for the road in a subdivision of part of the original 110 acres, the name ‘Sweeneys’ has been generally used since 1939 for the house and barn precinct. The owners at that time, Colin Stanfield Gibson and his wife Beatrice Ebsworth ‘Betty’ Gibson, were from Tasmania and thankfully their thoughtful renovations at Culla Hill in 1939 were influenced by an understanding of the Colonial tradition and its revival. While stone from the demolition of a large fireplace and chimney became a new garden path and garden edging, most of the refurbishment kept the essence of the original fabric. The plan here shows the layout of the rooms as they were at the time of the 1940 Home Beautiful article.
Diagram Dr Roger Leubbers, 1997
|
|

1940-02 Home Beautiful - Page 12 viewsPage 1 of the February 1940 Home Beautiful article on Culla Hill
|
|

1940-02 Home Beautiful - Page 22 viewsPage 2 of the February 1940 Home Beautiful article on Culla Hill
|
|

1950s Culla Hill - possible Jan 1952 - Burston Family Collection2 viewsThis photo, from the Burston Family Collection, shows the Culla Hill barn which closely resembles the barn at Cullahill Farm, the old Guider property south of Roscrea in Tipperary. Thomas Sweeney’s parents, Patrick and Mary Sweeney, were probably humble farmers who lived in the area.
|
|

1833 Darling Harbour Sydney National Library of Australia2 viewsHaving obtained a Ticket of Leave dated 29th of November 1831, Thomas Sweeney is increasingly reported in Sydney newspaper lists of coastal trading vessels between Wollongong and Sydney. To sail into Sydney was no mean feat as the captain had to negotiate ‘The Heads’, the entrance to Port Jackson, and then navigate a passage to a selected mooring such as in Cockle Bay (Darling Harbour).
|
|

1838 Marriage Thomas Sweeney Margaret Meehan2 viewsOn the 30th of January, 1838, Margaret Meehan lands in Sydney from the 476 ton barque ‘Strathfieldsaye’ as an assisted immigrant. She marries Thomas Sweeney on the 23rd of April, 1838 at St Mary’s Church, Sydney, and the witnesses are Daniel Meehan and Peter Bodecin. The priest is Father John McEncroe and given that Margaret cannot sign her name he witnesses the cross she makes.
|
|

1840s Sweeney leasehold Boroondara2 viewsThis hand drawn map, from around 1845, shows the Boroondara allotments which were then up for sale and on which Thomas Sweeney was one of the squatters. The Sweeney hut was marked. The huts of David Balfour and John Walker were also recorded. The land sale notices stated that huts and bush fences were still there.
|
|

1843-03-31 Culla Hill Land Purchase 110 acres No 17160 782 viewsThe first land allocations in Eltham took place as part of a subdivided lot of 1040 acres advertised as Lot 69 in a Government Notice dated 4th of February 1841. The large portions of land found no buyers, so were cut into smaller allotments. It was one of these allotments that Thomas Sweeney bought in 1843. In relation to the Certificate of Title dated the 31st of March 1843, we read: ‘Port Philip. Land Purchase, A. Whereas in conformity with the Regulations made for the Sale of Crown Lands in that part of Our Territory of New South Wales, Known as the Southern or Port Phillip District Thomas Sweeny of the Yarra Yarra River near Melbourne has become the purchaser of Land hereinunder described, for the Sum of One Hundred and Ten Pounds Sterling. One Hundred and Ten Acres, be the same more or less, situated in the County of Bourke and Parish of Nillumbik. Allotment number Seven of Portion number Five.’
|
|

1907 circa - Thomas and Kathleen Sweeney, postcard to Mary and Fran in WA2 viewsThis photo of Kathleen (Kas) and Thomas (Tom) Sweeney was sent as a postcard to older siblings Tom and Mary in Western Australia. It says in part
"Tom Prior took it as we were returning from a ride. You will recognise the hill; our young stock.....Pigs send their love. Only another 3 weeks to live....Tell Frank to try and come home this year. Anxiously waiting for your next letter. Dad's neck is a bit troublesome now. He is making a new fowl house and it is nearly finished. Went for a ride on my own today."
|
|

1909-06-16 Nellie Bourke postcard to Frank Ryan - Bridge St and Bourke Residence - Ryan Collection - writing on back2 views Tim Keary, brother of Eliza Bourke married Kate Sweeney. The Bourke residence was named "Woodville" after the town in Galway where the Keary family lived. Tim wrote letters home to the family in Galway from 'Little Eltham' and two of them are in the Sweeney Family book. Nellie has headed this postcard "Woodville" and written "Bourke's Road" at the bottom of the postcard. She writes about last going up to Culla Hill the day John Sweeney was buried in 1909. It is dated 16th of June 1909.
|
|

1909-06-16 Nellie Bourke postcard to Frank Ryan - Bridge St and Bourke Residence - Ryan Collection - writing on back2 views Tim Keary, brother of Eliza Bourke married Kate Sweeney. The Bourke residence was named "Woodville" after the town in Galway where the Keary family lived. Tim wrote letters home to the family in Galway from 'Little Eltham' and two of them are in the Sweeney Family book. Nellie has headed this postcard "Woodville" and written "Bourke's Road" at the bottom of the postcard. She writes about last going up to Culla Hill the day John Sweeney was buried in 1909. It is dated 16th of June 1909.
|
|

1835 Illawarra Lake painting by Conrad Martens, Wollongong Art Gallery2 viewsThe 1835 painting 'Illawarra Lake' by Conrad Martens shows remnant forest including a Cabbage Tree Palm, along with a horse and figures and the lake beyond. Thomas Sweeney was one of those who transported the cut wood from the Illawarra to Sydney in his coastal cutter.
|
|

1841-1845 circa Catholic Chapel Melbourne by Henry Gilbert Jones, etcher c1804-1888, State Library of Victoria2 viewsThis engraving is in the collection of the State Library of Victoria. It is by Henry Gilbert Jones who in 1850 purchased Allotment 6 of Portion 5, Parish of Nillumbik and became Sweeney's next neighbour on the west. The picture is dated to c1841-c 1845 which encompasses the time the children of Thomas and Margaret were baptised at St Francis Church. It had not been built when Patrick was baptised in 1839. Jones employed John Sweeney in the 1880s and died in 1888.
|
|

1912 circa St Mary's Catholic Church cnr Main Road and Henry Street Eltham2 viewsSt Mary's Catholic Church, cnr Main Road and Henry Street, Eltham was opened/blessed October 13, 1912. The wooden church was built to replace an earlier brick church also known as St Mary's (1865-1912), which had been situated on the main road near present day Wingrove Park. The church and land cost £1,400 (Evelyn Observer). The wooden church was destroyed by fire in 1961.
Sourced from the Eltham District Historical Society.
|
|

1915 circa postcard J.H. Clark- Eltham from Bolton Street2 viewsThis photo postcard shows an early view of Eltham looking east from Bolton Street between Bridge Street and Brougham Street (Wellington). The fenced road reserve on the right is Brougham Street.
Originally dated as pre-1877 introduction of the Telegraph (the Telegraph was connected to the Post Office on Thursday, June 7, 1877) given the lack of poles and wires visible, a more recent higher resolution scan has revealed the presence of several Telegraph poles: one about half way between Brougham Street and Dalton Street, one opposite the Police Residence, another opposite W.B Andrew’s Corn Store (Zen Den site), one possibly near the Fountain/Evelyn Hotel. Also, given the photo was originally marked “J. H. Clark Photo” it is safer to assume the image is dated circa 1915.
Sourced from the Eltham District Historical Society.
|
|

1843 - Michael Connors, Absolute Pardon, 1st of May 1843, 44-9, 3672 viewsThomas Sweeney and Michael Connors arrived in Port Jackson on the Convict Transport Isabella (3) in December 1823. Connors received a Ticket of Leave dated the 15th of December, 1832 which allows him to remain in the District of Bathurst. He was subsequently granted an Absolute Pardon dated May 1 1843. ‘Captain Rock’ had certainly come a long way since that historic night in 1823 at Cullahill, Parish of Bourney, Barony of Ikerrin, County Tipperary.
|
|

1927 - Obituary for Mary Carrucan nee OBrien1 viewsWith the passing of Mary Carrucan nee O'Brien,the widow of Patrick Carrucan, in 1927, the following comprehensive obituary was was published in the Hurstridge Advertiser, Friday 18 November 1927, page 5
DEATH OF ELTHAM PIONEER. MRS. MARY CARRUCAN.
On November 2 at Dalton St., Eltham, the death of Mrs. Mary Carrucan, relict of the late Patrick Carrucan, removed from our midst another of the fine old pioneers of this district. The deceased lady, who had reached the ripe age of ninety years, had been in failing health for the last two years, so that her demise was really a happy release. She and her late husband arrived in the colony from County Clare, Ireland, over 70 years ago, and settled in Eltham soon after their arrival. The latter pre-deceased her by 34 years. They reared a large family (two sons and seven daughters) who, with the exception of the elder son Michael, have all settled down elsewhere. Both the parents were very highly re-spected for their thrift and industry and soon acquired several blocks of land in and about Holloway's town ship, of which Dalton St. formed the southern boundary line. Like many of the early pioneers, the deceased lady was a fine type of helpmate, and was fond of outdoor life. When the Eltham tannery was in full swing, her husband was engaged as a first-class hand, but left this occupation to carry on fruit growing and mixed farming. Mrs. Carrucan's remains were laid to rest in the family portion of the Eltham cemetery, after a requiem service had been conducted in the local Catholic Church by the parish priest, the Rev. Fr. Lande. The funeral was attended by a large number of the family, relatives and friends, many of whom travelled long distances to pay the last tribute. The Rev. Fr. Lande also officiated at the grave. The funeral arrangements were very well carried out by Mr. Frank Usher, of Apps and Son, Fitzroy.
|
|

1950s Culla Hill main house with extensions, Burston family1 views
|
|

1956-02 Culla Hill & Petty's Orchard, LANDATA Aerial view, Eltham District Historical Society1 viewsThis LANDATA aerial shot, taken in February 1956, shows Culla Hill and Petty's Orchard, LANDATA. Photo purchased from the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning.
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.
The auction took place in this seated marquee.
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.
|
|

1993-11-27 Sweeneys subdivision1 viewsIn late 1993, the Burton family did a major subdivision and sold off a number of 12 sllotments, ranging in size from 1 to 3 acres. Once this was done, the Burtons were left with the single house block.
|
|

Sweeneys photos - Burston Collection1 viewsMike Burton was brought up at Culla Hill during the period when the Burton family owned the property. These are photos from the Burton family photo albums which are now in Mike's possession. The photos are from the period from the 1960s onwards.
|
|

Sweeneys photos - Burston Collection1 viewsMike Burton was brought up at Culla Hill during the period when the Burton family owned the property. These are photos from the Burton family photo albums which are now in Mike's possession. The photos are from the period from the 1960s onwards.
|
|

Sweeneys photos - Burston Collection1 viewsMike Burton was brought up at Culla Hill during the period when the Burton family owned the property. These are photos from the Burton family photo albums which are now in Mike's possession. The photos are from the period from the 1960s onwards.
These colour photos of the interior rooms were taken before the property was sold in 1997 and were possibly used for publicity.
|
|

Sweeneys photos - Burston Collection1 viewsMike Burton was brought up at Culla Hill during the period when the Burton family owned the property. These are photos from the Burton family photo albums which are now in Mike's possession. The photos are from the period from the 1960s onwards.
These colour photos of the interior rooms were taken before the property was sold in 1997 and were possibly used for publicity.
|
|

1927 Christmas Card - Mary Ellen (Nellie) Murray1 viewsCard signed "Sincerely Yours,Nellie, Xmas 1927
Nellie Murray, Diamond Creek, Victoria, Australia"
The AGE of Wednesday 3rd August 1938, p14, reported
DEATHS: On August 2, at a private hospital, Albert Park, Mary Ellen, beloved and only daughter of James and the late Julia Murray of Eltham, and beloved sister of James, aged 30 years, RIP
|
|

1999 Cullahill Farmhouse, Parish of Bourney, Tipperary North - taken by Brian Cuffley1 viewsBrian Cuffley returned in 1999 and captured the Cullahill homestead in this photo. This is the same homestead that Thomas Sweeney tried to burn down. In those days, it would have had a thatched roof which would have easily caught fire.
|
|

1926 - Family photo at Dalton St - Nana (Hooley), Betty and Mary Carrucan1 viewsOn the front porch at the Dalton St Eltham farmhouse circa 1926. Mary Carrucan (nee Sweeney) is back right and her daughter Betty is back left. Mary's sister Ellen (Nana) Sweeney is seated.
|
|
|
667 files on 14 page(s) |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
14 |
|