Carrucan and Sweeney Photo Galleries

Carrucan and Sweeney Photo Galleries

1940-02 Culla Hill Homestead floor plan Dr Roger Luebbers
While the name Culla Hill is used for the road in a subdivision of part of the original 110 acres, the name ‘Sweeneys’ has been generally used since 1939 for the house and barn precinct. The owners at that time, Colin Stanfield Gibson and his wife Beatrice Ebsworth ‘Betty’ Gibson, were from Tasmania and thankfully their thoughtful renovations at Culla Hill in 1939 were influenced by an understanding of the Colonial tradition and its revival. While stone from the demolition of a large fireplace and chimney became a new garden path and garden edging, most of the refurbishment kept the essence of the original fabric. The plan here shows the layout of the rooms as they were at the time of the 1940 Home Beautiful article.
Diagram Dr Roger Leubbers, 1997

1940-02 Culla Hill Homestead floor plan Dr Roger Luebbers

While the name Culla Hill is used for the road in a subdivision of part of the original 110 acres, the name ‘Sweeneys’ has been generally used since 1939 for the house and barn precinct. The owners at that time, Colin Stanfield Gibson and his wife Beatrice Ebsworth ‘Betty’ Gibson, were from Tasmania and thankfully their thoughtful renovations at Culla Hill in 1939 were influenced by an understanding of the Colonial tradition and its revival. While stone from the demolition of a large fireplace and chimney became a new garden path and garden edging, most of the refurbishment kept the essence of the original fabric. The plan here shows the layout of the rooms as they were at the time of the 1940 Home Beautiful article.
Diagram Dr Roger Leubbers, 1997

1920s_Culla_Hill_buildings_1840s_right_and_1850s_left.jpg 1939_culla_hill_front_parlour.jpg 1940-02_Culla_Hill_Homestead_floor_plan_Dr_Roger_Luebbers.jpg 1940-02_Culla_Hill_Home_Beautiful_-_Front_View.jpg 1940-02_Culla_Hill_Home_Beautiful_-_House_and_Dairy.jpg
Rate this file (No vote yet)