St Linus Centenary Photos

St Linus Centenary Photos


Most viewed - St Linus Centenary Photos
1932_Original_St_Linus_Church_Property_Plan_-_architect_Charles_Heath.jpg
1932 Original St Linus Church Property Plan - architect Charles Heath6 viewsThe architect Charles Heath, who designed the layout of the Fawkner Cemetery, had been chosen to design the St Linus church. His ambitious plan shows the full footprint of a large church, along with hall, vicarage and tennis court. Most of his plan was realised, but the church as envisaged was never fully completed.
1920s_Original_Church_Design.jpg
1920s Original Church Design5 viewsIn 1921 Captain D S Bain subdivided an area of land in North Coburg, calling the estate “Merlynston” after his daughter. The settlement grew as returned soldiers and other young people populated the area, leading to a call to Archbishop Harrington Lees for the provision of a place of worship for Church of England people. The Diocese agreed to purchase the land on which the present church stands together with the two adjoining blocks. In 1925 a church hall was built and was used as the worship centre until the actual church build could commence in 1931.
The architect Charles Heath, who designed the layout of the Fawkner Cemetery, had been chosen to design the St Linus church. He came up with a grand and architecturally impressive building, which, perhaps fortunately, was never completed in its original form.
The nave of St Linus' Church was built in 1932. It was planned as the first section of a most imposing building which, when complete, would have included transepts, a central tower and spire, and a sanctuary. These later sections were never completed.
A temporary wall was erected where the transepts were intended to be placed. It stayed for 46 years until the current east facing large glass window was constructed in 1978.
1932-02-20_-_Laying_of_Foundation_Stone.jpg
1932-02-20 - Laying of Foundation Stone5 viewsIn January 1932, when the church was under construction, Archbishop Head came for the placing of the memorial stone at the North East corner of the church porch (in Delta Avenue) on Saturday 20 February at 3 PM. The inscription reads:
"To the greater glory of God. This stone was laid on 20th February Anno Domii 1932 by the Most Rev. Frederick Waldergrave Head, D.D.' Archbishop of Melbourne. Rev. W. Clarke Hudson, M.A., Vicar. C.R. Heath A.R.A.I.A., architect".
The mayor (Cr J J Anderson), and other councillors were present, along with a large group of clergy.
1950_Church_interior_Framed_Picture.jpg
1950 Church interior Framed Picture5 viewsThis framed photo, taken in 1950, is a wonderful snapshot of the church interior which enjoyed a local reputation for its beauty. Note the 2 rows of choir stalls are on either side of the worship area. The church had been lovingly cared for by a number of people, particularly Ray Evenden, who had continued the English theme and had put much of his time into maintaining and adding to the decoration of the church. Ray’s embroidery skills were on display in vestments used in worship and frontals and banners that furnished St Linus’.
1977_Ron_Dowling.jpg
1977 Ron Dowling5 viewsIn October, 1975, Bishop Grant (the Regional Bishop) proposed a young priest, the Reverend Ron Dowling who would like to come to St Linus for about 12 months. Ron's appointment as PIC in February 1976 created an air of expectation; the vicarage had been brought up to date and a young priest in his first parish had chosen St Linus’, albeit on a third-time basis. Ron was an ideal choice. He was musical, had a good understanding of Liturgy and was hard working and responsible. After years of relative seclusion the parish was exposed to the wider diocese. Part of Ron's vision was to bring to the parish up to date ideas of worship. He revamped the order of service and worked to create a worship space which suited modern liturgy. In 1978, following the success of a planned giving program, the church building was finally completed. When Ron Dowling left the parish (now 1/2 time) on Christmas Day, 1978 to pursue his MA overseas, he left a parish that was markedly different to the one he joined in 1975.
2016_Church_Delta_Avenue_view.jpg
2016 Church Delta Avenue view5 viewsThis 2016 photo of St Linus shows the northern side, from Delta Avenue. This was originally the front entrance to the church, and the memorial stone (laid in 1932) is just to the left of the front porch.
St_Linus_1.jpg
1960s St Linus Procession5 viewsDuring the early years of St Linus, many church groups provided support for generations of parishioners - Sunday School, CEBS (Church of England Boys Society), GFS (Girls Friendly Society), Mothers’ Union and YAF (Young Anglican Fellowship) - as well as contributing vital funds to the ongoing support of the parish.
This photo, from the 1960s, shows the groups processing to the Church as part of some formal occasion. Thoughts anyone?
St_Linus_2.jpg
St Linus Unknown Procession5 viewsI suspect something from the 1930s but am open to all suggestions
1935_St_LInus_Choir_Easter_Times_-2.jpg
1935 St Linus Choir Easter Times - 24 viewsA strong musical and ceremonial tradition was evident at St Linus right from the start, with a robed choir gracing the services until 1977.

This holy card shows the Choir times for Easter 1935. It was indeed a full program
Palm Sunday - Matins 9:30AM, Catechism 3PM, Ceremony and Procession 7PM
Wednesday in Holy Week - Eucharist 6:30PM, Evensong 7:30PM
Good Friday - Matins 11AM, Way of the Cross 2:30PM
Holy Saturday - Preparation for HC 7:15PM
Easter Day - Sung Eucharist 9:30AM, Festal Catechism 3PM, Festal Evensong 7PM
1950_Church_interior.jpg
1950 Church interior4 viewsThis framed photo, taken in 1950, is a wonderful snapshot of the church interior which enjoyed a local reputation for its beauty. Note the 2 rows of choir stalls are on either side of the worship area. The church had been lovingly cared for by a number of people, particularly Ray Evenden, who had continued the English theme and had put much of his time into maintaining and adding to the decoration of the church. Ray’s embroidery skills were on display in vestments used in worship and frontals and banners that furnished St Linus’.
1978-11-5_Re-dedication.jpg
1978-11-5 Re-dedication4 viewsFor years the unfinished wall of the church had been a source of embarrassment and was a physical reminder of the neglect of the parish over the years. It also worked against the establishment of a solid foundation for ministry. In 1977, following the success of the planned giving programme, the Vestry decided, with the support of Bishop James Grant, that the building should be completed. Mr Vanne Trompf, a creative architect who had successfully carried out some work to Anglican churches, came up with a wonderful solution to replace the temporary wooden eastern wall with a new glass window. The renovation also included a new vestry and church entrance and required the altar to be moved from the eastern end to the western end of the church. The building work was completed and was blessed by Archbishop Robert Dann in a Re-dedication Ceremony on 5th November 1978. A morning prayer service was held at 8:00 AM, followed by a prayer vigil which lasted until the re-dedication ceremony commenced at 4:00 PM.
1978_Church_Renovations_2.jpg
1978 Church Renovations 24 viewsFor years the unfinished wall of the church had been a source of embarrassment and was a physical reminder of the neglect of the parish over the years. It also worked against the establishment of a solid foundation for ministry. In 1977, following the success of the planned giving programme, the Vestry decided, with the support of Bishop James Grant, that the building should be completed. Mr Vanne Trompf, a creative architect who had successfully carried out some work to Anglican churches, came up with a wonderful solution to replace the temporary wooden eastern wall with a new glass window. The renovation also included a new vestry and church entrance and required the altar to be moved from the eastern end to the western end of the church. The building work was completed and was blessed by Archbishop Robert Dann in a Re-dedication Ceremony on 5th November 1978. A morning prayer service was held at 8:00 AM, followed by a prayer vigil which lasted until the re-dedication ceremony commenced at 4:00 PM.
1980s_mid_-_Alan_Cadwallader_a_haircut_for_a_good_cause.jpg
1980s mid - Alan Cadwallader a haircut for a good cause4 viewsRev Alan Cadwallader who had been at Holy Trinity Kensington, took over the Parish in late 1982. Fr Alan was married and the parish, after some time, once again had a family at St Linus’ House. Alan and Robin’s family of two children increased to four during their five years at St Linus’. This was a time of much creativity and spiritual growth. Outreach to the community increased as Alan’s spirit of inclusiveness found an expression in events such as the annual parish camp, attended by parishioners of all age groups and others, including the from kindergarten. The annual Spring Festival, Easter and St Linus Day celebrations of Eucharist and feasting were very popular and the introduction of a Sunday night Taize service flowed from the raised interest in liturgical issues and attracted numbers of people from outside the parish. When Fr Alan left the parish in 1988, he left a legacy seen not only in the physical fabric of the church plant, but also in the deep spiritual growth of many parishioners.
1980s_mid_-_Spring_Festival.jpg
1980s mid - Spring Festival4 viewsRev Alan Cadwallader who had been at Holy Trinity Kensington, took over the Parish in late 1982. Fr Alan was married and the parish, after some time, once again had a family at St Linus’ House. Alan and Robin’s family of two children increased to four during their five years at St Linus’. This was a time of much creativity and spiritual growth. Outreach to the community increased as Alan’s spirit of inclusiveness found an expression in events such as the annual parish camp, attended by parishioners of all age groups and others, including the from kindergarten. The annual Spring Festival, Easter and St Linus Day celebrations of Eucharist and feasting were very popular and the introduction of a Sunday night Taize service flowed from the raised interest in liturgical issues and attracted numbers of people from outside the parish. When Fr Alan left the parish in 1988, he left a legacy seen not only in the physical fabric of the church plant, but also in the deep spiritual growth of many parishioners.
1980s_mid_-_Spring_Festival_Colour.jpg
1980s mid - Spring Festival Colour4 viewsRev Alan Cadwallader who had been at Holy Trinity Kensington, took over the Parish in late 1982. Fr Alan was married and the parish, after some time, once again had a family at St Linus’ House. Alan and Robin’s family of two children increased to four during their five years at St Linus’. This was a time of much creativity and spiritual growth. Outreach to the community increased as Alan’s spirit of inclusiveness found an expression in events such as the annual parish camp, attended by parishioners of all age groups and others, including the from kindergarten. The annual Spring Festival, Easter and St Linus Day celebrations of Eucharist and feasting were very popular and the introduction of a Sunday night Taize service flowed from the raised interest in liturgical issues and attracted numbers of people from outside the parish. When Fr Alan left the parish in 1988, he left a legacy seen not only in the physical fabric of the church plant, but also in the deep spiritual growth of many parishioners.
1987_St_Linus_Op_Shop_Workers.jpg
1987 St Linus Op Shop Workers4 viewsRev. Alan Cadwallader's time as Parish Priest saw many initiatives in the parish. The hall was renovated and finally re-blocked, an Op Shop was opened, the Moyle Organ was installed, parish camps were commenced and the fete became a highly organised affair. The Parish Op Shop was opened in 1987 and ran for many years as a valuable resource for the local community.
1988_Good_Friday_1.jpg
1988 Good Friday 14 viewsThe church, as it now stands, is a wonderful example of church architecture.
The building is notable for its absence of ornamentation and for its lofty, well-proportioned interior. It is the only known example of Heath's church architecture, although he carried out considerable work at Fawkner Crematorium nearby.
This photo shows the sanctuary, at the western end of the church.
2016_Church_Window.jpg
2016 Church Window4 viewsThis 2016 photo shows the front window, in side profile. This window was erected as part of the 1978 refurbishment and replaced what was a temporary wooden wall, erected in 1932 when the church building had to be stopped as available funds were exhausted. It was a temporary wall that lasted 46 years!
St_Linus_4.jpg
1960s St Linus Spring Festival - Rev. Oliver Hole4 viewsDuring the early years of St Linus, many church groups provided support for generations of parishioners - Sunday School, CEBS (Church of England Boys Society), GFS (Girls Friendly Society), Mothers’ Union and YAF (Young Anglican Fellowship) - as well as contributing vital funds to the ongoing support of the parish. Another important contributor to parish finances was the annual parish bazaar. This photo, taken in the 1960s, shows one such bazaar. Parish priest Rev. Oliver Hole is shown, dressed as usual with biretta and cassock.
"A lasting image is of Oliver Hole riding his bicycle around the streets of Merlynston in the 1950’s, biretta firmly placed on his head, full cassock tucked in around his waist."
St_Linus_Banner.jpg
St Linus Banner4 viewsThe Rev’d W Clarke Hudson left a memorandum concerning his choice of Saint Linus as patron saint, in which he wrote:

“St Linus was chosen as the patron saint of this church because he was a Briton, almost the first Briton mentioned in history, and certainly the first British saint. He was the son of King Caradoc, who, tradition relates, was converted to Christianity by the mission to Glastonbury about the middle of the first century. King Caradoc was conquered and carried captive with his family to Rome by the Emperor Claudius, but his noble demeanour so affected Claudius that the latter gave Caradoc his liberty, and that of his whole family, who thus became Roman citizens. Linus was the first Bishop of Rome, sometime between 56 and 80 AD. St Paul, in his second Epistle to Timothy , Chapter 4, verse 21, numbers Linus, Claudia and Pudens (her husband) among the early Christians. The Apostolical Constitutions tell us that Linus and Claudius were brother and sister. We learn from tradition that Linus was beheaded by order of Saturninus for refusing to give up the faith”
St_Linus_5.jpg
A St Linus Gathering of Parishioners4 viewsDate and occasion unknown.
2006_Merlynston-St-Linus-7A_-_Moyle_Organ_2.jpg
2006 - Moyle Organ, built by James Moyle of Prahran circa 1855 and restored by George Fincham & Sons, Melbourne, in 19854 viewsThis organ was built, probably in the 1850s, by James Moyle, of Prahran. It is thought to be the earliest surviving example of organbuilding in Victoria. The original location of the instrument is unknown and its history is vague until its arrival at St Cuthbert's Anglican Church, Brunswick, about 1930. At some stage the pedal pulldowns were added and the hand-blowing arrangements modified. About 1975, the organ was removed from St Cuthbert's Church and stored at Christ Church, Brunswick. The organ was subsequently given to the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) by the Christ Church parish and it was decided to place the instrument, following restoration, at St Linus' Church on permanent loan.
The restoration of the instrument began in early 1984 following the launching of a restoration appeal by the Prime Minister of Australia, Bob Hawke. The work was carried out by George Fincham & Sons, of Richmond.
This small instrument, of chamber organ dimensions, has a distinctive Gothic case. There are three flats of gilt wooden dummy pipes placed within three cusped arches. The cornice of-the case is boldly crenellated and the music desk, carved in oak, incorporates a lyre motif. The casework is of pine which has been stained and finished to resemble cedar, although the latter material has been used for the keyboard assembly. The hood moulds above the three cusped arches were at some stage removed and have been replaced. The original builder's nameplate survives.
2006_Merlynston-St-Linus-11A_-_Moyle_Organ_4.jpg
2006 - Moyle Organ, built by James Moyle of Prahran circa 1855 and restored by George Fincham & Sons, Melbourne, in 19854 viewsThis organ was built, probably in the 1850s, by James Moyle, of Prahran. It is thought to be the earliest surviving example of organbuilding in Victoria. The original location of the instrument is unknown and its history is vague until its arrival at St Cuthbert's Anglican Church, Brunswick, about 1930. At some stage the pedal pulldowns were added and the hand-blowing arrangements modified. About 1975, the organ was removed from St Cuthbert's Church and stored at Christ Church, Brunswick. The organ was subsequently given to the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) by the Christ Church parish and it was decided to place the instrument, following restoration, at St Linus' Church on permanent loan.
The restoration of the instrument began in early 1984 following the launching of a restoration appeal by the Prime Minister of Australia, Bob Hawke. The work was carried out by George Fincham & Sons, of Richmond.
This small instrument, of chamber organ dimensions, has a distinctive Gothic case. There are three flats of gilt wooden dummy pipes placed within three cusped arches. The cornice of-the case is boldly crenellated and the music desk, carved in oak, incorporates a lyre motif. The casework is of pine which has been stained and finished to resemble cedar, although the latter material has been used for the keyboard assembly. The hood moulds above the three cusped arches were at some stage removed and have been replaced. The original builder's nameplate survives.
1932-02-20_-_Laying_of_Foundation_Stone_-_the_attending_clerics.jpg
1932-02-20 - Laying of Foundation Stone - the attending clerics3 viewsIn January 1932, when the church was under construction, Archbishop Head came for the placing of the memorial stone at the North East corner of the church porch (in Delta Avenue) on Saturday 20 February at 3 PM. The inscription reads:
"To the greater glory of God. This stone was laid on 20th February Anno Domii 1932 by the Most Rev. Frederick Waldergrave Head, D.D.' Archbishop of Melbourne. Rev. W. Clarke Hudson, M.A., Vicar. C.R. Heath A.R.A.I.A., architect".
The mayor (Cr J J Anderson), and other councillors were present, along with a large group of clergy which included Canon Rowed (who read the lesson), the Rev C H Murray (in 1950, the Bishop of Riverena), who carried the Archbishop's staff,; the Revs H S Hollow, E I Gason, J W Briggs, W A Shaw, A R Sinclair, J A Peck, J J Tempany , L L Nash, A E Sedsman and J V Gason.
1934_circa_-_Ken_Leslie.jpg
1934 circa - Ken Leslie3 viewsInitially, St Linus Church was part of the parish of Holy Trinity Coburg.
The St Linus vicarage was one of a number of houses built by Captain Bain in the early days of Merlynston as standard residences and was purchased by the Diocese in 1926. A number of curates lived in the house from 1926 to 1946, including Rev. Ken Leslie (later Bishop of Bathurst) who cared for the needs of the St Linus parishioners from January 1934 to May 1937.
1935_St_LInus_Choir_Easter_Times_-1.jpg
1935 St Linus Choir Easter Times - 13 viewsA strong musical and ceremonial tradition was evident at St Linus right from the start, with a robed choir gracing the services until 1977.

This holy card shows the Choir times for Easter 1935. It was indeed a full program
Palm Sunday - Matins 9:30AM, Catechism 3PM, Ceremony and Procession 7PM
Wednesday in Holy Week - Eucharist 6:30PM, Evensong 7:30PM
Good Friday - Matins 11AM, Way of the Cross 2:30PM
Holy Saturday - Preparation for HC 7:15PM
Easter Day - Sung Eucharist 9:30AM, Festal Catechism 3PM, Festal Evensong 7PM
1935_st_Linus_Church_aerial_shot.jpg
1935 St Linus Church aerial shot3 viewsThis early aerial shot of Merlynston, dated 1935, shows St Linus Church, hall and vicarage on the western side of the photo. The Merlynston Railway station is already in place, as are most of the houses that made up the new 'Merlynston' housing estate.
Passed on by David and Margaret Chambers.
1954_Easter_-_Rev_Oliver_Hole.jpg
1954 Easter - Rev Oliver Hole3 viewsThe Rev. Oliver Hole was appointed to St Linus’ in 1951. Rev. Hole had previously enjoyed a successful ministry, having been precentor at the Cathedral and Vicar of St Peter’s Box Hill. However, in what was ultimately an unsuccessful arrangement, the Rev’d Hole was sent to St Linus’ with the promise of only a part stipend, but with an additional income stemming from the Chaplaincy to Fawkner Cemetery (which in practice meant taking funerals). This proved unviable and his long tenure in the parish was marked by ongoing financial difficulties and declining income. Fr. Hole eventually retired in 1971, having led the parish for some 20 years.
1978_Church_Renovations_1.jpg
1978 Church Renovations 13 viewsFor years the unfinished wall of the church had been a source of embarrassment and was a physical reminder of the neglect of the parish over the years. It also worked against the establishment of a solid foundation for ministry. In 1977, following the success of the planned giving programme, the Vestry decided, with the support of Bishop James Grant, that the building should be completed. Mr Vanne Trompf, a creative architect who had successfully carried out some work to Anglican churches, came up with a wonderful solution to replace the temporary wooden eastern wall with a new glass window. The renovation also included a new vestry and church entrance and required the altar to be moved from the eastern end to the western end of the church. The building work was completed and was blessed by Archbishop Robert Dann in a Re-dedication Ceremony on 5th November 1978. A morning prayer service was held at 8:00 AM, followed by a prayer vigil which lasted until the re-dedication ceremony commenced at 4:00 PM.
1979-09-20_St_LInus_Church_Refurbishment_article.jpg
1979-09-20 St Linus Church Refurbishment article3 viewsSt Linus featured in 'Church Scene' in 1979, the article written by new Priest in Charge Rev.Peter White.
1987_St_Linus_Op_Shop_Opening.jpg
1987 St Linus Op Shop Opening3 viewsRev. Alan Cadwallader's time as Parish Priest saw many initiatives in the parish. The hall was renovated and finally re-blocked, an Op Shop was opened, the Moyle Organ was installed, parish camps were commenced and the fete became a highly organised affair. The Parish Op Shop was opened in 1987 and ran for many years as a valuable resource for the local community.
1988_Good_Friday_2.jpg
1988 Good Friday 23 viewsThe church, as it now stands, is a wonderful example of church architecture.
The building is notable for its absence of ornamentation and for its lofty, well-proportioned interior. It is the only known example of Heath's church architecture, although he carried out considerable work at Fawkner Crematorium nearby.
This photo looks towards the eastern end of the church and shows the crossing arch which is filled with a striking steel and glass structure which houses the baptistry,
2016_Church_Front_View.jpg
2016 Church Front View3 viewsThis 2016 photo shows the front window, as viewed from Glyndon Avenue. This window was erected as part of the 1978 refurbishment and replaced what was a temporary wooden wall, erected in 1932 when the church building had to be stopped as available funds were exhausted. It was a temporary wall that lasted 46 years!
2016_Church__Front_View_2.jpg
2016 Church Front View3 viewsThis 2016 photo shows the front window, as viewed from Glyndon Avenue. This window was erected as part of the 1978 refurbishment and replaced what was a temporary wooden wall, erected in 1932 when the church building had to be stopped as available funds were exhausted. It was a temporary wall that lasted 46 years!
St_Linus_3.jpg
1960s St Linus Spring Festival3 viewsDuring the early years of St Linus, many church groups provided support for generations of parishioners - Sunday School, CEBS (Church of England Boys Society), GFS (Girls Friendly Society), Mothers’ Union and YAF (Young Anglican Fellowship) - as well as contributing vital funds to the ongoing support of the parish. Another important contributor to parish finances was the annual parish bazaar. This photo, taken in the 1960s, shows one such bazaar.
The_Baptismal_Font.jpg
The Baptismal Font3 viewsIn November 1932, the church was the recipient of a magnificent gift of the marble font, made secretly by Mr H J Thornton during 2 years' work. It was dedicated on Wed 23 November at 8 PM by the Rural Dean, Canon Rowed. The first baptism in the new font followed immediately, that of Mr Thornton's granddaughter, Patricia Joan Murray. The font has been much praised over the years and has pride of place in the large window of the completed church building, inviting passers-by to enter God’s kingdom through baptism.
Window_-_1927_Peter_Lorensen.jpg
Window - 1927 Peter Lorensen3 viewsOn Christmas Eve, 1927, Mr Peter Lorensen died. A native of Denmark who resided in Australia for over 60 years, Peter attended St Paul’s Cathedral until services started in the St Linus hall. He became a regular attendant and “the quiet influence of his genial Christian character won a wide circle of friends". Lorensen Avenue in Merlynston is named after him; however, he left a greater legacy – he left £1,000 for the building of a brick church, which made the consideration of that project possible. The legacy was to be paid over 1932, provided that by that time sufficient funds has been raised to make up the amount needed to build a brick church.



Window_-_1935_Rev_William_Clarke_Hudson.jpg
Window - 1935 Rev William Clarke Hudson3 viewsThe Rev William Clarke Hudson was the vicar of Coburg from 1920 to 1935 and was one of the driving forces behind the creation of St Linus. In his younger days he had served in country parishes in NSW and Queensland. When rector of Croydon and Normanton on the Gulf of Carpentaria he was in charge of a parish well over 100 miles long but his only means of travel was a push-bike. In Coburg he still pushed his bicycle all over the parish.
He spearheaded the push to raise funds, build first a church hall and then build the brick St Linus Church. The memorial stone on the SE Corner of St Linus Church reads
"To the greater glory of God. This stone was laid on 20th February Anno Domii 1932 by the Most Rev. Frederick Waldergrave Head, D.D.' Archbishop of Melbourne. Rev. W. Clarke Hudson, M.A., Vicar. C.R. Heath A.R.A.I.A., architect".
The Rev William Clarke Hudson concluded his ministry at St Linus' in February 1935, his last service being Evensong on Friday the 28th.
Window_-_1946_Elizabeth_Nora_Badger_Baptism.jpg
Window - 1946 Elizabeth Nora Badger Baptism3 viewsWhen peace came at the end of WWII, the church felt strong enough to contemplate emerging as a separate parish. Archbishop Booth was able to meet this wish when the Rev Edwin Badger became available upon his discharge from the army. He was accordingly instituted as the first Vicar of the Parochial District of Merlynston, on Monday 29th July, 1946 at 8PM by Archdeacon J A Schofield, with the double task of building up Merlynston and Fawkner into a self-supporting parish, while making the project financially possible by discharging the duties of chaplain to the Fawkner Cemetry. Fr Badger remained as Parish Vicar until 1951.
Window_-_1947_George_and_Elsie_Evenden.jpg
Window - 1947 George and Elsie Evenden3 viewsThe Evenden family stained glass window,dedicated on 8th May 1949, depicting the Lamb of God, was unveiled by Mrs L Thomas, the daughter of Mr and Mrs Evenden. The Evenden family had been St Linus stalwarts since the church's inception in 1925. Their son Ray Evenden was a mainstay of the parish for many years, organising the choir, running the practice, played the organ and running the CEBS. He also took it on himself to recruit people to the parish. Of boundless energy and having a deep faith, he served the parish well. Many St Linus’ people over the years could trace their introduction to Anglicanism to Ray.
Window_-_1949_Amelia_Stubbings.jpg
Window - 1949 Amelia Stubbings3 viewsAlas, I have no information on this window, apart from what is written therein.

In loving memory of Amelia Stubbings
Obiit 15th July 1949, aged 81 years.
A faithful member of the parish of Holy Trinity Coburg
and a friend of this church.
Window_-_1952_Errol_Robert_Warnock_1.jpg
Window - 1952 Errol Robert Warnock3 viewsErrol Robert Warnock died 21 March 1952, aged 13 years, as the result of an accident. The dearly loved son of Robert and Linda Warnock of 87 Queens Pde Fawkner, and loved brother of Ron, aged 14 years.
Window_-_1952_Errol_Robert_Warnock_2.jpg
Window - 1952 Errol Robert Warnock3 viewsErrol Robert Warnock died 21 March 1952, aged 13 years, as the result of an accident. The dearly loved son of Robert and Linda Warnock of 87 Queens Pde Fawkner, and loved brother of Ron, aged 14 years.
Window_-_1996_Frederick_Maurice_Van_Cuylenburg.jpg
Window - 1996 Frederick Maurice Van Cuylenburg3 viewsThe van Cuylenburg and de Moore families were steadfast supporters of St Linus Parish from the 1950s onwards. Eileen de Moore was the church organist for many years, while her brother Maurice van Cuylenburg lent his legal expertise to the parish on many occasions.
Window_-_Go_Forth.jpg
Window - 1958 Go Forth3 viewsA number of gifts were received in Fr Hole’s time. A glass window – “Administering of Holy Communion to a Papuan Boy” given anonymously, was blessed 14 Dec, 1958.
Window_behind_organ.jpg
Window behind organ3 viewsYou can easily miss this final stained glass window, given that it is hidden behind the Moyle organ, on the northern side of the church. It has no additional writing to indicate that it has been created in memorial of some significant person. It is simply a stained glass window, if there is such a thing! All stained glass windows tell their own story.
2006_Merlynston-St-Linus-10A_-_Moyle_Organ_3.jpg
2006 - Moyle Organ, built by James Moyle of Prahran circa 1855 and restored by George Fincham & Sons, Melbourne, in 19853 viewsThis organ was built, probably in the 1850s, by James Moyle, of Prahran. It is thought to be the earliest surviving example of organbuilding in Victoria. The original location of the instrument is unknown and its history is vague until its arrival at St Cuthbert's Anglican Church, Brunswick, about 1930. At some stage the pedal pulldowns were added and the hand-blowing arrangements modified. About 1975, the organ was removed from St Cuthbert's Church and stored at Christ Church, Brunswick. The organ was subsequently given to the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) by the Christ Church parish and it was decided to place the instrument, following restoration, at St Linus' Church on permanent loan.
The restoration of the instrument began in early 1984 following the launching of a restoration appeal by the Prime Minister of Australia, Bob Hawke. The work was carried out by George Fincham & Sons, of Richmond.
This small instrument, of chamber organ dimensions, has a distinctive Gothic case. There are three flats of gilt wooden dummy pipes placed within three cusped arches. The cornice of-the case is boldly crenellated and the music desk, carved in oak, incorporates a lyre motif. The casework is of pine which has been stained and finished to resemble cedar, although the latter material has been used for the keyboard assembly. The hood moulds above the three cusped arches were at some stage removed and have been replaced. The original builder's nameplate survives.
Window_-_2022_Jo-Anne_Wells_and_Lois_Erickson.jpg
Window - 2022 Jo-Anne Wells and Lois Erickson2 views2020 saw the passing of two very significant people in the St Linus story. First, in August of that year, long serving parishioner Lois Erickson died after a long battle with cancer. Lois's association with St Linus started in the early 1950s as a small child and she spent nearly 70 years as a dedicated member of the church community, taking on roles as Vestry member, Church Council member, Church Warden, Parish Treasurer and Kindergarten President and Treasurer. The Rev. Jo-Anne Wells took on the role of vicar of the Parish of St Matthew's Glenroy with St Linus' Merlynston in November 2011 and served in that capacity until her untimely passing in October 2020. She brought much love, empathy, tolerance and compassion to her role, along with a passion for helping refugees. The members of the parish raised the necessary finances to erect this window, in memory of these two lovingly remembered people.
50 files on 2 page(s) 1